Comparison of the impact of ships to size-segregated particle concentrations in two harbour cities of northern Adriatic Sea
• High temporal resolution aerosol data were collected in two Adriatic port cities.
• Shipping contribution to particle concentration of different sizes was investigated.
• Contributions to nanoparticles were significantly larger compared to other sizes.
• Relative contributions to nanoparticles were 7.4% in Venice and 1.8% in Rijeka.
• Contributions to PM1, PM2.5 and PM10 were about 2% in Venice and <0.2% in Rijeka.